Tuesday, February 23, 1999 Published at 16:42 GMT
Partial deal in Kosovo talks
No guarantees that the fighting can be stopped
Mr Vedrine said the six-nation Contact Group was calling for an immediate ceasefire, adding that those who provoked hostilities or prevented the completion of an interim peace accord would be held accountable.
But US Secretary of State Madeleine Albright said full agreement had not been reached on either a political or a military deal.
"Unfortunately (Yugoslav) President Milosevic and his delegation failed to seize the opportunity for progress," she added.
Mrs Albright said the ethnic Albanians had agreed in principle to sign the political accord in two weeks, but the Serbs had not agreed to the political deal, and "had not engaged at all" on the deployment of a Nato-led force in the region.
Talks co-chairman UK Foreign Minister Robin Cook insisted that impressive progress had been made, with provisions for both Kosovo's self-government and the protection of the ethnic Serb population living in the province.
"We have created a process. Today is not the end of that process but only the end of phase one of that process," he said.
Air strike threat remains
Nato had threatened Belgrade with military action if it caused the talks to fail.
"Whether Nato bombs or not ... that depends upon the actions of the Serbs," US President Bill Clinton said earlier.
International negotiators had worked through the night on a new version of the political part of the proposed peace deal.
As the talks ended, Serb police forces and ethnic Albanians clashed in the north of the province, leaving seven wounded.
Five Serbian policemen and a Yugoslav photographer for the Associated Press news agency were wounded in the fighting at the village of Bukos, according to the Serbian media centre in the provincial capital, Pristina.
The KLA news agency Kosova Press said one KLA guerrilla had been wounded.