Local BBC Sites

Neighbouring Sites

Page last updated at 09:30 GMT, Thursday, 11 November 2010
Dover students guard tomb of Unknown Warrior
Unknown warrior tomb
Head boy Luke Luckett stands guard with other Duke of York's students

Dover students guarded the tomb of the Unknown Warrior on 8 November.

Sixth formers from the Duke of York's Royal Military School provided an Honour Guard in Westminster Abbey while the Torch of Remembrance was lit.

The Unknown Warrior was brought back from the Western Front to Britain in 1920 via Dover docks.

Before his body was taken to London, 100 Duke of York's students provided a guard of honour along with soldiers from Connaught Barracks.

One of the students who stood guard at the tomb of the Unknown Warrior on 8 November was Luke Luckett, who is head boy at the school.

He said: "It's paying respects to the Unknown Warrior and all the soldiers who've lost their lives for their country, paying the ultimate sacrifice."

Duke of York's pupils
The earliest known photograph of the school, thought to be taken in 1856

In attendance at Westminster Abbey were Colonel the Hon Trustrum Eve, president of the British Torch of Remembrance, The Dean of Westminster Abbey and the Belgian Ambassador.

Torch of Remembrance

The Torch of Remembrance is taken to Belgium every year where it is used to symbolically relight the Torch of Remembrance in Antwerp Cathedral which was extinguished during German occupation in World War II.

The student guards also took part in a wreath laying ceremony on 9 November as the torch travelled through Dover on its way to Belgium.

The Duke of York

The school opened in 1803 by the Duke of York, who was head of the army at the time.

The army had been expanding during the Napoleonic wars and the school's first purpose was to care for the children of serving and fallen soldiers.

Until 1909 the school was based in Chelsea but by then building had become outdated. The children were relocated to the site in Dover, which had been used for military exercise.

Stained glass window
The school's chapel is dedicated to St Michael and St George

"It was regarded as a prime place to put a school where there would be lots of healthy fresh air, quite different to Chelsea which was quite polluted at the time," explained Michael Carson, Head of Humanities and History at the Duke of York's Royal Military School.

The school's history is illustrated in 10 display cabinets which line a wide corridor in one of the buildings.

In the chapel, the name of every Duke of York's student who has died in action is listed on memorial plaques.

Since September 2010 the Duke of York's Royal Military School has been an academy and it now accepts children from non-military families.




SEE ALSO
Victoria Cross medals displayed
10 Nov 10 |  History
WWI heroes' carriage is restored
10 Nov 10 |  England
Final Whistle: 'Pom Pom' Whiting
10 Nov 10 |  History
In pictures: A window for Westminster
18 Oct 10 |  History

OTHER RELATED BBC LINKS


Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific